Powered By Blogger

Monday, October 17, 2011

The art of listening.

A few weeks ago, I mentioned a couple of books I was reading.  As is usually the case with books and me, I get easily distracted and preoccupied with the week's activities and some reality tv shows thrown in, ( i.e. the Kardashian wedding) and I basically have to start reading said books over again so I can remember what I already read.  So this week I actually made some more progress on the Resolution for Women. 
The part I just finished reading was all about the importance of listening and it's value in our lives and the lives of those we love.

She writes: Time and listening are gifts.  When people give you their ear, they are offering you a sliver of their life they can never retrieve again, on e of the few gifts that can never be returned or retracted.  We can get so focused on our own feelings and circumstances that many of our conversations ultimately become all about us.
What we say by no listening says a lot, so choose to listen.  Resist the urge to criticize, insult, or make sarcastic remarks.  Lean in purposefully and listen.  It's your gift so give it to whomever you can.

She goes on to give some great advice.  Sometimes wisdom is knowing what to say and NOT saying it.  You don't have to say everything that pops into your head.  Silence is oftentimes our good friend.  We would be wise to listen and gather up all the information before releasing our reaction.  Choose to let your solutions and reactions time to "settle" before being shared.

Try it for a day or two.  Deliberately keep from saying something that is better left unsaid. What would change for the better in your life if you began exercising the restraint of silence? Picture the people in your life who most need to receive the gift of listening from you.

It's our nature to be talkers and the resolution to be a better listener is one I want to make. 
Here is one of my good "listening" friends. Actually, we think she is becoming deaf and maybe that is why she appears to be such a good listener. Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment