Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Elk Camp

Over the past few years, I have grown accustomed to spending some time alone in the fall, while Lefty heads to Montana for all sorts of hunting. (Pheasant, Antelope, Mule Deer, and Elk) After a few years of seeing the pictures and hearing the stories, I decided I wanted to see what all the excitement was all about.
So, a couple of weeks ago, Lefty asked me if I wanted to come up to Elk Camp for a few days and maybe help him get the cabin stocked with food and beverages. Well, with my love for grocery shopping and meal planning, I jumped all over that offer and he booked me a ticket to go in a day ahead to do some shopping and organizing. I made a very complete shopping list and about the time I left the hotel to begin, Lefty called and said he was on an earlier flight and would be able to help me.
We hit Costco around 10 a.m. with two carts. One hour later, we were off to Albertson's to pick up the rest of the things that we couldn't buy at Costco, and one hour after that we picked up Tom and Jim at the airport and we were on our way.
It takes about an hour and a half to get to the road where we have to cut off the highway. Then....it takes another 45 minutes to go the last 5 miles on a dirt road that has deep ruts and rocks sticking up all over. It is a breeze on the atv's, but in a truck pulling a trailer, it is treacherous. But, we made it.
The cabin leaves a bit to be desired. Electricity is available only when the generator is running. It isn't particularly dust free. The mattresses look like they have been around a LONG time. And there are a few furry friends that scoot around at night. And, I discovered there wasn't an overabundance of cooking utensils, pans and such. But, we were not deterred from beginning our adventure and having fun.
The next morning we were up @ 6 in the morning to get to a location in a pasture where we hoped to see the elk moving back up through the property after their night time grazing down in the valley. But, the weather was so warm and beautiful that the Elk just weren't moving around. They were staying in the high elevations. A bit disappointing for the guys.
The next few days, I chose to stay at the cabin while they went out tracking the deer, elk , and antelope. I prepared meals, read the latest Vince Flynn novel (the best one ever), and started the new John Grisham. I drank way too much coffee and tidied up the place as best I could. And, I enjoyed the views!!!
Here are a few pictures to give you a feel for what it's like. Can't wait to get back there.

No comments:

Post a Comment